Learn Swedish

Swedish for immigrants, sfi, is a beginners' course in Swedish. The aim of the course is to continue studying or to improve your chances of finding a job.

Study paths and course packages

Sfi courses are available at three study paths and four levels. The path and level you should join is determined by our Education Officer, depending on your educational background and your future plans. When you have finished your sfi studies, you can continue learning in Swedish as a second language (sva) courses, on basic level (sva 2, 3 and 4) and upper secondary level courses (sva 1, 2, 3).

The tuition in study path 1 – basic reading and writing skills – is directed at those who have had no former education and those who have had little education and are not functionally literate.

This path contains course A, B, C and D.

Illustration of the ingoing courses in study path 1.


Sfi-study path 2 contains course B, C och D and is aimed at those who have completed elementary school. 

Illustration of ingoing courses for study path  2

Swedish for immigrants is a beginners' course in Swedish, consisting of courses 3C and 3D. The duration of these 2 courses varies depending on study option.

You can continue studying Swedish after sfi by applying to Swedish as secondary language at basic level, sva grundläggande. After this, you can continue with Swedish as secondary language, sva, at advanced level.

Intensive studies in Swedish is a course program that starts with sfi (Swedish for immigrants) and is completed with sva 3 (Svenska som andraspråk 3 - Swedish as secondary language at advanced level).

This course program will suit you if

  • you plan to take all courses included in the program
  • you have good study experience
  • you are willing to invest a lot of time and energy in your studies
  • you may need a level of Swedish eligible for university studies or for working within your profession.

This is an intensive course program with a fast study pace, and it is very important that you attend the lessons.

You are expected to study on your own in addition to school lessons, so it is important that you have access to a quiet study place.

The course program includes the following

  • Swedish for immigrants – Svenska för invandrare (sfi) – course 3C and 3D
  • Swedish as secondary language – Svenska som andraspråk (sva) at basic level, course 4
  • Swedish as secondary language – Svenska som andraspråk (sva) at advanced level, course sva 1, sva 2 and sva 3.

Choose your preferred option

Course program Intensive studies in Swedish

For course program in Swedish, please call or send an e-mail for registration.

Phone number: 08-508 35 400
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 09.00 to 11.00 

E-mail addresssfi@edu.stockholm.se

Once you have registered, you will be contacted by phone by a teacher to determine which study path and course suits you best.

Learn Swedish and a vocation by taking a kombinationsutbildning, a vocational educational programme. You’ll learn Swedish while gaining a vocational qualification at upper secondary school level. You’ll get practical experience, and you have a good chance of getting a job after the educational programme.

Who can take this vocational educational programme?

If you’re studying at 2C or 2D level (study path 2, course C or D), you can apply for sfi with vocational training - also known as a kombinationsutbildning. There are also some programmes available if you have completed course D.

The schools only take a limited number of students, so we carry out a selection. Among other things, eligible applicants will be invited to an interview.

Programme content

On the programme, you’ll learn Swedish adapted to the language used in the vocation you’re studying for. Your Swedish studies are integrated with vocational courses.

The programme includes practical training known as workplace-based learning (APL). During your practical training, a supervisor will assist you at the location where the practical training takes place. You’ll have the same working hours as your supervisor. This means that you may need to start early in the morning or work evenings and weekends.

Programme duration and pace of study

A kombinationsutbildning is a full-time course that takes place during the day. The duration of the programme depends on the vocation you’re studying for. You’ll study for 30 hours a week at the school. You’ll also be required to do course work at home every week.

Your schedule will be announced when the programme starts. The course is very intensive and it’s important that you attend the lessons every day.

Current programmes

You can find information about current vocational educational programmes in Swedish language.

Our schools

You can find information about our sfi schools, what study paths they offer and where the schools are located on our Swedish website.

Frequently asked questions

  • You must be registered in the municipality of Stockholm. Otherwise you need to contact the Adult Education in your municipality.
  • You must have a residence permit and you must be at least 16 years old. 
  • You should have received your Swedish personal identity number.  

EU/EEA Citizens or Citizens of Switzerland

If you are an EU/EEA citizen or citizen of Switzerland and a resident in Stockholm municipality you can study sfi. Be prepared to show your passport. 

Most of the schools offer lessons for both day and evening hours. The daytime courses are Monday-Friday, 20 hours a week. While evening courses are about 2-3 times a week, approximately 6-9 hours a week. If you have specific reasons, you might be given a customised timetable.

When you complete a course, you are given a grade. Grades from course D will be sent to you. If you want your grades from courses A, B and C you need to contact your school.

If you have higher education, post secondary vocational education or upper secondary education, from another country, we recommend you to contact the Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR), for an assessment of your grades.

If you need a copy of a grade that was issued before July 1st 2016, please contact Vuxenutbildningscentrum.

If you need information in other languages, please send us an email sfi@edu.stockholm.se.