Information for Ukrainians staying i Stockholm

If you have arrived in Stockholm from Ukraine you are not entitled to take part in the municipal adult education. This is due to the type of permit you have been granted. However, you can get support to apply for a job and map your skills.

Municipal adult education

If you are a Ukrainian citizen seeking refuge or asylum in Sweden, you will be granted a residence permit with temporary protection according to the Temporary Protection Directive.

When someone is granted a temporary permit they do not have the right to participate in municipal adult education, including Swedish for immigrants (sfi). This is due to the Swedish Education act, which requires adult students to be registered (folkbokförd) in a municipality, which will not be the case for holders of temporary permits.

Welcome house

If you need advice or guidance regarding work or studies, you are welcome to visit Welcome house. Welcome house can also help matching you to a job and provide information about the Swedish authorities and welfare system.

Finding work

If you are covered by the Temporary Protection Directive and need help finding work in Sweden, you are welcome to register at the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen).

Once you have registered, you will have the opportunity to discuss what line of work you can do and what jobs that are available with an employment officer (an interpreter can be provided if needed). During this meeting the employment officer will evaluate whether you are ready to be matched to a job right away, or if other steps should be taken first. Arbetsförmedlingen will offer you the support that you need along the way.

In order to register, please visit a Arbetsförmedlingen service office (servicekontor). Bring a valid ID card – for example a passport – and the residence permit card you received from the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). It is also helpful if you have a coordination number from the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

Information for people from Ukraine – Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)